The Kenya Union of Nurse’s secretary general Seth Panyako has said their strike is still on despite President Uhuru Kenyatta’s threat to sack and arrest those participating.
Uhuru ordered all nurses to report to work by February 15 or face dismissal by the county government and the Health ministry.
“I have no mandate to respond to the President. If I do I will be overstepping my mandate. I urge our members to remain firm and fight for their rights. If there will be something otherwise we will advise them accordingly.”
But Panyako said he will not respond to the President’s order because he has no power to respond on behalf of the nurses.
“When I was arrested at Kenyatta National Hospital was I throwing stones? Whoever wants to arrest me can come to my house. Many people have been arrested and disappeared and we are ready to take that route,” he said.
He said more counties will be joining the strike on Monday.
So far six counties have fully implemented the CBA.
They are Migori, Machakos, Kwale, Nairobi, Mombasa.