By Mkarimu Media
The National Transport and Safety Authority has revoked 51 driving school licenses following failure to submit the required documentation for vetting.
The Authority’s Director General Francis Meja on Thursday said NTSA is mandated to establish systems and procedures for, and oversee the training, testing and licensing of drivers, formulate and review the curriculum of driving schools.
Meja said implementing its mandate, the Authority has undertaken a Driving School Licenses Revalidation exercise in order to assess compliance with the Traffic Driving School Rules.
“The exercise is intended to weed out driving schools operating without meeting these requirements,” he said.
According to Meja, the documents submitted by driving schools are being assessed to establish their compliance levels.
NTSA’s axe has fallen on eight schools in Nairobi, three from Embu county, four from Kisumu, Mombasa and Machakos counties and five from Nakuru county among others.
List of driving schools whose licences have been revoked
1. Charkar Trade Company- Embakasi
2. Ganatra Plant and Equipment Training Institute Limited –Baba DogoRoad
3. Kifaru Driving School -Eastleigh
4. Motory cycle Riding School (K) Limited Ngara
5. Printax Driving School –Village Market
6. Safe Link Driving School- Ruaraka
7. Sony Driving School -Ongata Rongai
8. World International Driving- Donholm
1. NationWide Driving School
2. Mike Saba Driving School
3. Jabs Driving School
Kisii and Kisumu
1. Imperial Driving School – Rongo, Kisii
2. Samtech Driving School – Kisumu
3. KwachDrivingSchool – Kisumu
4. Leach Driving School – Kisumu
5. Captain Driving School – Kisumu
Bungoma and Mombasa
1. Sayona Driving School – Bungoma
2. Gakara Driving School
3. Iqra Driving School
4. Isma Driving School and Computer Services
Meru and Marsabit
1. Turima Driving School – Meru
2. Marsabit Driving School
1. Mercy Driving School
2. Motorcycle Riding School
3. Kareu Hardware Driving School
4. Rift Valley Institute of Business Studies
5. Batian Driving School -Naivasha
Uasin Gishu, Thika, Kiambu and Garissa
1. Camy Driving School- Eldoret
2. LifeStyle Driving School- Ngariga
3. Baraka Driving School -Kimbimbi
4. Geombuki Driving School-Branch- Thika
5. Digitex Driving School -Thika
6. Thogoto Technology- Kikuyu
7. Gakuyo Plant Operators Driving School- Thika
8. Aha Driving School Limited -Thika
9. Nyaga Youth Polytechnic Driving School -Ngewa
10. Excel Driving School -Garissa
11. Petanns Driving School And Computer College Limited -Ruaka
12. St.Kizito Driving school- Mwihoko
13. Waki Driving School- Gatundu
14. Shanik Driving School -Thika
15. Batian Driving School- Makuyu
16. Sony Driving School Muranga-Kenol
17. Angelica Ventures Company Limited -Thika
18. Joho Driving School Limuru-Town
19. Denis Motor Vehicle Training and Driving School -Matuu
20. Ithoka Driving School Mwingi
1. Amon Driving School
2. Double Vision Driving School
3. Kaewa Technical Training & Driving School
4. Autotech Automobile Driving School Kitengela-Namanga
Last month, Interior CS Fred Matiang’i gave all the driving schools two months to seek fresh registration with NTSA or close down.
He said driving schools must ensure they have re-validated their licences by July 1 and if by then they don’t have the new generation licence which means they have been re-validated, they would consider themselves closed.
“The process will be stringent and stiff. They will have to be physically inspected by NTSA inspectors together with the police before they can be allowed to continue holding their licences to train our drivers,” he said.
The National Transport and Safety Authority will re-register the close to 600 driving schools in the country between May 2 and July 1.
Thereafter, police will start a crackdown of those operating illegally.
Matiang’i said NTSA will inspect the schools, check their level of compliance, and ensure that their environments are conducive to driver-instruction before they are validated.
“The irresponsibility with which we have handled this [driver training] is amazing even to ourselves.
Some places are funny dingy corners where people would turn out with one ramshackle of a vehicle with a guy who only God knows where they were trained as drivers,” he said.
SOURCE:MKARIMU MEDIA AND NEWS AGENCIES