North Korea has fired an unidentified projectile, South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff said.
The rogue nation fired the unidentified projectile early on Thursday from an area near Wonsan on North Korea’s eastern coast.
The Joint Chiefs of Staff told South Korea’s Yonhap News Agency: “Our military is monitoring the situation in case of additional launches and maintaining a readiness posture.”
It comes after North Korea’s leader Kim Jong-un met US President Donald Trump at the demilitarised zone (DMZ) last month.
The pair agreed to resume stalled nuclear talks.
Their joint Hanoi summit in February broke down with no agreement reached.
It followed their historic first meeting in Singapore in June 2018.
On Wednesday, South Korea’s ambassador to the US was reported as saying that the US and North Korea had been locked in negotiations over resuming talks.
In a sign of North Korea’s military strength, the state tested a new short-range ballistic missile.
Following the trial of the missile, Kim admitted that it gave him “great satisfaction”.
More recently, North Korea’s leader inspected a newly built submarine.
According to the country’s news agency, KCNA, the new submarine was built under Kim “special attention”.
Despite the firing of the unknown projectile, when Trump and Kim met in the DMZ, the US President spoke glowingly of the North Korean leader.
Following their meeting, Trump said: “Leaving South Korea after a wonderful meeting with Chairman Kim Jong-un.
“Stood on the soil of North Korea, an important statement for all, and a great honour!”
Trump also stated that he “was proud to step over the line” and thanked the leader for the meeting.