One person is dead after a fire broke out at a seniors’ residence on Yonge Street in North York overnight.
Emergency crews were called to the scene just south of Finch Avenue around 2:30 a.m. on Monday.
Officials said the fire broke out in an apartment unit on the 10th floor of the Toronto Community Housing building.
An 80-year-old man was found without vital signs. CPR was performed at the scene and the man was rushed to hospital in critical condition.
Toronto police confirmed a short time later that the man had been pronounced dead.
Toronto Fire said the fire appears to have started in the bedroom. A smoke detector was found melted on the floor of the unit with its battery removed.
An investigator from the Ontario Fire Marshal’s Office will be attending the scene to investigate.