A gold toilet worth Ksh. 129million has been stolen from the Blenheim Palace in Oxfordshire, London.
The 18-carat piece was reported stolen from the home where former British Prime Minister Winston Churchill was born.
“We are saddened by this extraordinary event, but also relieved no-one was hurt,” a statement from Blenheim Palace reads.
Blenheim Palace CEO Dominic Hare said it is a great shame that such a ‘precious’ item was stolen.
He however assured the public that there are many other fascinating treasures in the Palace and they are secure.
British police revealed that the thieves left with the gold toilet at around 4.50am.
Reports also indicate that only one suspect has been arrested so far: a 66-year-old man.
“If anyone knows or saw anything suspicious in connection with the event that may help us secure its return please contact Thames Valley Police,” the statement from Blenheim Palace reads.
The gold toilet was built by Maurizio Catellan, a conceptual artist and his work of art titled ‘Victory is not an option’.
Reuters reported that gold toilet was once offered to U.S. President Donald Trump after the White House asked to borrow a painting by Vincent Van Gogh.
According to CNN, a statement released to announce the exhibition of the gold toilet and its placement ”could be perceived as a comment on the social, political and economic disparities in the United States.”
According to Detective Inspector Jess Milne, the theft of the gold toilet has caused a plumbing disaster since it was fully functional.
Blenheim Palace CEO Dominic Hare told CNN that the building would be closed on Saturday with normal operations resuming on Sunday.
Investigations are ongoing.