Activist Okiya Omtatah./FILE
Article 78(2) of the Constitution stipulates that “A State officer or a member of the defence forces shall not hold dual citizenship.”
The Ethics and Anti Corruption Commission (EACC) has launched investigations into allegations that several State and public officers including MPs and Senators hold dual citizenship.
Concerns over elected leaders with dual citizenship emerged earlier this week after activist Okiyah Omtata wrote to EACC asking for a probe into claims that 10 current legislators are holder of dual citizenship.
“The Constitution expressly prohibits Members of Parliament from possessing dual nationality if it was acquired through naturalisation…We hope that you will comply with our above request so that we do not have to move to the High Court of Kenya to seek coercive orders against the government,” Omtatah said in the letter.
Omtatah listed eight MPs and two senators alleged to be citizens of other countries with majority leader Aden Duale among them.
In a statement issued on Thursday, EACC said a probe into the allegations had began, warning that any leader found culpable will face action and could lose their seats.
“EACC has launched investigations to verify these allegations with a view to taking appropriate action against the public officers in accordance with the law. Such action could include initiating mechanisms for removal for violation of Chapter Six of the Constitution,” said EACC.
The law, however, allows judges and members of commissions to hold dual citizenship.
Below is a list of the 10 MPs the activist wants investigated for holding dual citizenship;
1. Aden Duale – Majority Leader in the National Assembly (Somali citizenship)
2. Ledama Ole Kina – Narok senator (US citizenship)
3. Yusuf Hassan – Kamukunji MP (UK)
4. Haji Adan – Mandera South MP (Somali)
5. Mohammed Garane – Lagdera MP (Somali)
6. Charles Nguna – Mwingi West MP (Greece)
7. Jane Kihara – Naivasha MP (US)
8. Sofia Adan – Marsabit Woman Rep (Somali, Ethiopia)
9. Mohammed Duale – Dadaab MP (Somali)
10. Haji Adan – Mandera South MP (Somali)