A recent US air strike in Somalia killed about 60 al Shabaab militants in the largest strike against the group in nearly a year, the US military said on Tuesday.
In a statement, the US military said a strike last week near Harardere, Somalia, killed “approximately sixty terrorists.”
The “precision” strike around Harardere did not injure or kill civilians, it added in a statement.
The US said the attack was carried out as part of a joint effort with Somali forces to hit the al-Shabab group.
In November 2017, more than 100 militants from Islamist al Shabaab group were killed in a US air strike.
Al-Shabab, which is linked to al-Qaeda, has not yet commented.
“Alongside our Somali and international partners, we are committed to preventing al-Shabab from taking advantage of safe havens from which they can build capacity and attack the people of Somalia,” the US Africa Command said.
The US military has conducted more than two dozen air strikes, including drone strikes, in Somalia this year, the Associated Press news agency reports.
US President Donald Trump expanded military operations against al-Shabab in March 2017.
Al-Shabab was forced out of Mogadishu in August 2011 following an offensive spearheaded by African Union (AU) troops.
But it still has a strong presence in regions around the capital.