Breaking News

Wario, two ex-sports officials released on Sh2m bond each


Firmer CS Sports Hassan Wario

Former sports CS Hassan Wario has pleaded not guilty to the loss of Sh55m in 2016 Rio Olympics scandal.

While appearing at Mlimani Law Courts, Wario and his two co-accused denied the charges and  were released on Sh2 million bond each.

He was charged alongside former sports officials Haron Komen, who served as Director of Administration and Patrick Nkabu who was in charge of finance.

They pleaded not guilty to the loss of Sh55m in 2016 Rio Olympics scandal.

Chief Magistrate Douglas Ogoti ordered the three to appear on November 16.

The lot are linked to embezzlement of Sh22.5 million; Sh16.8 million in underutilised air tickets; Sh15.9 million in overpaid allowances; and Sh6.5 million expenditure on unauthorised person.

Wario is facing six counts of criminal offence.

The Kenya ambassador to Austria appeared before Chief Magistrate Douglas Ogoti in Milimani Law Cour

Wario and legendary athlete Kipchoge Keino were arrested on Thursday over the scandal.

DPP Noordin Haji had earlier said that the two and five others have a case to answer.

But on Thursday, it emerged that Keino will not face criminal charges but will instead be a state witness against Wario and the others charged with impropriety in the scam.

Keino, 78, is a two-time Olympic champion and an honorary member of the International Olympic Committee.

ALSO READ  Raila's Nasa lied about access to server, IEBC says

By continuing to use the Mkarimu.net, you agree to the use of cookies. more information

The cookie settings on this website are set to "allow cookies" to give you the best browsing experience possible. If you continue to use this website without changing your cookie settings or you click "Accept" below then you are consenting to this.

Close